Saturday, February 2, 2019

Why do we show dogs


So these are Hondo's ribbons from his last show. Nine ribbons 2 day show. With the new ruling from AKC he also gained a point a day towards his AKC Championship. Why do I show? What is in it for me ? What do I want from this sport? These are questions I ask myself and have been asked by others. I think it goes back to being a child. While growing up we didn't have dogs, Mom didn't want them I don't know why because her and dad loved English Bulldogs and would go on to show and breed them. They were very well known in the English bulldog community and imported several from England. Dad was also the AKC delegate for the Bulldog Club of America. But that is another story. 

It could be I wanted to be  involved with something my parents were. to make my mom proud. But acceptance wasn't what I was looking for. Well maybe a little but even though I love the bulldog that wasn't the breed for me. So I search and watched and didn't know what I wanted then I saw a Chow and it was love at first sight that was the breed for me. Although my mom wanted me to get an Irish Setter and not to be defiant it was the Chow. 

No if you are in dogs for the right reason you know that this is not a quick money making hobby. To be under the understanding with much time and details go into even consider breeding two dogs. So we start at the bottom, yes new people in this sport are bottom feeders as the more established people guard their dogs and secrets like King Tuts tomb along with the Palace jewels of the queen. So since we are bottom feeders we have to learn as you go. Or you could be lucky and find a mentor or two. But mostly you find people who look down their noses and don't want to give you the time or day. Now I am a watcher and I love to read and research everything. I am self well educated I just don't like to show it.  

To be taken half serious in this sport you must make sure you have a good specimen of the Chow.He or she must be true to the standard, and you need to be out there willing to put in the time to show the world you are not a fly by night person. You must take the good with the bad and take losing as well as winning graciously. You must have broad shoulders because they will talk about first before even consider trying to help after all your are competition. Smile and go on with what you are doing. 

  I learned this when I took two dogs to the Nationals for the CHOW CHOW club. I had thought I was ready and we would do well. Let me tell you this was an eye opening experience one that I learned a lot from. The farthest we got was 3 in a puppy class not that my male was inferior to any of the puppies there I observed that my male was not groomed as the others were. It wasn't that he wasn't groomed he just was not groomed as he needed to be. I was still very inexperienced on  how the world of showing chows had changed. We were outclassed out groomed and I felt all alone. I made a promise to myself I will never show another dog not groomed to perfection. Now Nationals were in April and I took this same male to a specialty the end of May. Here he took a 5 point major, The difference he was groomed to perfection. Every show is a learning experience and I like to think I am a good student. I also have had several judges thank me for bring well groomed dogs onto the ring.

So now that your dog is winning you have caught the attention of other chowist. They are now watching to see if your a fluke or someone in for the haul. Some may talked to you some still wont but think about your not there to be their friends your there to finish your dog and get that AKC Championship. I don't like that theory because I am an outgoing person. So you start looking at other breeders puppies because you would one day like to breed your males and  create that once in a lifetime litter. You look at pedigrees but you still are unsure what your looking at but you look and compare. Do you buy a Bitch and then be the breeder, do you stud out your male to get a puppy this is not a process that is an overnight challenge.  You don't want to make a mistake, remember you want to be a serious breeder one who is respect and people wait for one of your puppies because they know you do it right. 

Me I want that, I want to have a ranked dog, I want to have my dogs produce the type of chow every one wants. So I wait until that time is right. It could be a year, or 5 years down the road but when everything aligns to be that time it will happen. 

So to answer the question why do I show, I show for me, I enjoy the hustle of  a show ring. I love the satisfaction that I have come a long way with my dogs. I found my passion something I stressed to my kids to do when they were growing up follow those dreams love what you do as long as its fun. If it becomes something else then you have achieved more than your goals were. My boys both are almost finished and I can say this is something I did. This was not handed to me I worked in preparing my dogs and my self. One day I hope to be preparing for that Best in Show win. Breeding will come. Because I am not into this to breed and breed and sell puppies I am in it for the thrill of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment