Saturday, January 19, 2019

A dream being shattered

Hello my old friend. Been a log time so much has happened in my life since the last time you heard my thoughts. This time it's about dreams we all have them, many achieve them then there are those like me that always hit stumbling blocks.

             25 years ago I had a dream that was to own and show and finish the breed that stole my heart The Chow Chow. Back then there was no internet, so you had to actual go meet breeders and talk with them. Now I started in this breed with a bad example of the breed bought from a back-yard breeder as I just wanted to learn all I could about the Chow. I read every book, magazine I could get my hands on. I worked with my dog Sheba everyday took her to training class more for me then her but the two of us learned a lot. First thing I learned is breeders wont talk to you if you have a pet chow in your home and several wanted me to place her in a different home. Well that didn't happen Sheba and I had an unbreakable bond. One day another couple introduced me via phone to a breeder in Kansas ( I lived in Oklahoma at the time). In several weeks she was going to have s litter on the ground and she invited us to go look at her kennel and puppies. My friends were going up in a few weeks to look at a different litter and invited my husband and I to come along for the ride and to meet Marilyn in person to see if we even fit what she looks for in a show home. 
2nd thing I learned don't trust people who claim to be your friends. Half way from Oklahoma to Kansas my friend informed my that this breeder has an issue with pet chows. At this time I had two my Sheba and Coco whom I rescued from an abusive home. Well I thought great this will be a waste of a trip.

          We arrived and welcomed in her home, we all had lunch and a get to know you session. I was asked about my home, my dogs and what I had been doing with them. I told her well even though my Sheba is far from show quality her and I go to training class every week where we are welcomed and every one loves her. We chit chat some more and then she brings in the litter that is several weeks old and said if we decide this one here would be a great little show boy for you. They were about 4 weeks old so there was still time before he could come home. ( I have to tell you I couldn't tell which would be a good puppy or which one wouldn't so I would have to have blind trust). At this time she tells her Husband to take my friends to the puppy kennel and show my husband her stud dogs and champions. This left her and I alone to chat some more. Her and I then went out to the puppy kennel to see the older puppies and I have to tell you in awe I was so many beautiful puppies. It was then I spotted him and he spotted me I cannot tell you what drew me to him but there he was the most beautiful chow I had ever seen. I can tell you it was love at first sight. So I did what I have been known to do and sat in this huge pile of chow puppies and he just crawled up in my lap and made himself at home. Oh the other puppies came up sniffed and left to go play but he stayed. I put him down to play with others and he laid right next to me. As she told me about pedigrees and parents I was listening and learning but I was falling hard for this Cinnamon little boy. In my heart I knew he wouldn't be mine as I was warned about my girls at home and she not wanting pet dogs there.

         She excused her self to go find my husband and hers and left me in puppy heaven. From what my husband explained to me she was concerned that the puppy I had fallen for and had fallen for me we couldn't afford. She also stated she had never see a puppy attach so quick to someone. So back then the 4 week old puppy was 600.00 and the Cinnamon boy was 800.00. You know you have to love my husband as he had not seen the Cinnamon boy yet. He then proceeded to explain he didn't care which one I wanted the price would not break or make the choice for him. Now we have been here for hours and as we sat down for dinner and my friends and the breeder were discussing their terms on what they were going to do for a puppy. I said do you mind if my husband go back outside and look at the dogs and puppies giving you all time alone. So Jeff and I went back and looked at the sires and made our way back to the puppy kennel. There he was the Cinnamon baby following me as I petted all the babies. I loved on him and wished him well told him I was sure that he would go to an awesome home as my heart was breaking. We made our way back to the house and Marilyn and her husband and my friends who were taking home two puppies. To be honest my heart felt like stone I had never felt like this. Marilyn starts with showing me her contract and tell me all about the red boy who is four weeks old and how she thinks he would be a great first starter dog. But she say's in what she saw today changed her mind. As her husband brings in the Cinnamon boy and say's this puppy chose you today and he too would be an excellent starter dog for you. I had to speak up and say we were just coming today to meet and see we are not prepared to buy. Marilyn takes my hand and say's  I wrote this contract for you if you agree to it. I read it my husband reads it and I can't believe it this baby is going to be mine.




Meet Asho-Fanc Jepa's Firecraker  ( Boss)
Born on the 4th of July

Next a heartbreak


No comments:

Post a Comment