Sunday, January 20, 2019

Part 5 Rosie girl


         So after Boss, Gunner, Kissy there remains Rosie my dwarf of a chow. She was such a sweet girl and loved us all I could not ask for a better temperament of a dog. She wasn't show quality she wasn't breeder-able she was a house pet. You know I don't think she ever really came in to season in all the years she was alive.

       Lets move on and move on we did we went from Florida to Illinois again for my husbands job. My kids were now three and 7 and it was a long haul driving. But Rosie loved it she sat up front in the u-haul with my husband and Amanda, as I drove the car with my son and our cat. So the only problem was we had not secured housing so we had no choice but to stay with our in-laws. Although we were welcome in their home the animals were a different story. My sweet little Rosie was relegated to be out side under the huge covered back porch. So our first order of business was to find a home for us.

          So by the end of 1994 we found a house a huge one well huge to us and bonus it was ours no more rentals. It had a huge back yard only down fall was it did not have a fence. We moved in in October 1994 and my sweet Rosie then again was our inside dog. Now of all the houses we have rented only the first one in Oklahoma was fenced. Rosie was taught to respect the boundaries of the yard but with this she was never alone when she went out. But in late November a late night tragedy would strike and would this be the end?

        Now we live in the country and the only downfall is our house is also on a well traveled busy county road. Where the speed limited is never adhered to.  My husband let Rosie out the back door and stood there as he always does but as they say it only takes a second. The washer that is by the door was leaking and for a second he turned to look. It was in that second I heard the screeching brakes and the thud. We ran from the house but there was no car and no Rosie no blood and she didn't come as called. What we concluded was at that second a rabbit crossed her path and she took chase. Now you have to understand in my neighborhood there are a total of ten houses. We spent hours calling her and looking. I looked and looked  and then a strange thing happened. As a dog person not many dogs scare me but as a child I was bit by a Shepard that had come out of no where, so from that day I have avoid that breed.

       As I searched for her and called and walked the highway a dog came out of nowhere. A black shepherd and living in such a small town I had never seen this dog before. It barked and barked and since it I was so afraid of these dogs I crossed the highway to get away. As the night wore on and it was getting colder I had no choice but to stop for the night. In the morning I picked up searching, went to work and called all the local animal shelters, and vet offices.,  I couldn't work not knowing where my Rosie was, I left and came home and then continued to search. I then came across where that Shepard had been the night before. He had been standing and barking in front of an abandoned building so being careful that he might still be there I ventured around the back, There next to railroad tracks was my Rosie as I approached her and called her her tail began to wag. She was alive how she was alive I didn't know I ran to her and scooped her up and ran home screaming for my husband to open the door. I can not tell you I was relived I had found her and she was alive but that was going to short lived. My husband took her from me told me to get a blanket and when I did we laid  her down it was only then I noticed what my husband tried to tell me half her jaw was missing. We loaded her up and took her to the vet. All the while replaying this whole thing in my mind.

      Well as you can guess there was no good news from the vet he was astonished she had survived the night.He stated it she should have been dead and for her to survive was nothing short of a miracle, and as I left the office I vowed to never ever own another Chow my heart had been permanently broken. Two many  had stole my heart and then left. When I got home I walked that highway cursing the car and the people for not stopping. Why would people do that, Then her being little maybe they thought they hit a coyote. I also searched for the black shepherd I had never seen before.I had thought I knew all the dogs in the town. He was no where to be found so I pondered  where did he come from and where did he go. Then the next question how did she survive the below zero weather. Questions I couldn't answer so I came to my own conclusion. That black dog was her guardian angel who was trying to tell me she was there. I believe he protected her through the night and she knew I would find her our bond was strong. She didn't want me to find her dead so she kept her will to live till I did.

That chapter in my Chow life ended with Shattered dreams.
The Rainbows Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

No comments:

Post a Comment