Sunday, January 20, 2019

Chapter 10 Showing dogs just isn't in the cards




       Where we left off I had just showed Tillie in her first 4-6 puppy class. I was thrilled at how well she did and made plans to show her in her first confirmation show as soon as she turned 6 months old. Now we had a month between where my son was graduating High School so she was on a little break from class as there was so much going on.  But we were ready the motor-home was loaded and off we went my Husband and I went. Now the first several months Tillie was the only Chow in the classes but I figured its not too bad it gives us experience.  It just didn't give us the experience I had expected. Some where in those thirty-days Tillie had a change one I was not prepared for. My perfect puppy no longer would stand, loud noises made her jump out of her skin, people looking at her had her cowering. So it started just look at this babies body language you can see she is distressed. Now I showed her for over a year, with meds prescribed from a doctor, over the counter calming medicine. I talked to exhibitors, judges, handlers,other chow people. I tried                                    







everything, I would take her to the grooming area and we would try to play touch my dog. I took her to have her back adjusted, I took her to a behaviorist. Nothing that I could think of caused this and nothing I have done has helped. I spoke with her breeder and was told "you had to do something to her", she isn't a golden retriever, I don't breed bad temperaments. This breeder was at a show where we were and knew what was going on and not once did she approach me to discuss my poor Tillie. Now don't get me wrong I love this bitch and do not plan on removing her from my home. But damn it I paid for a showdog and I should be able to show her. I didn't pay pet price and the breeder takes no responsibility for Tillie. I am tired of what I work so hard for and my dreams shattering because of breeders who can not breed a sound dog. Breeders who refuse to health test any part of the required testing to ensure that the simple of things are bred out of our breed. .Breeders who know they have several dogs out there from their breeding who have this issue but choose to ignore it or place blame anywhere but where it belongs with them. Who advertise puppies for sale and state they have had their health clearances fancy word for vet visit when all you have to do is look at pedigrees and see no OFA numbers at all. As I type this it appears Tillie may now have a new issue and this one if it is what it points to will be a genetic issue. In the morning I will be calling the vets office to have her thyroid tested and sent way to be tested to get a correct reading on her panels. But again I am the one with the shattered dreams 

No comments:

Post a Comment