Monday, July 12, 2010

Okay so when your planning a vacation

Ever give a thought to family, I have a husband and 4 children, the oldest is 23 and the youngest is 11. Scheduling is a hassle, cost is another and every day life is a big one. So when I started this I looked at cruises for 6 two cabins, then reality slapped me in the face there is no way we could afford to take every one.

Background 23 year old is in law school, just finished 4 years at Purdue, Has gone to Spain, Ireland, Key West, and another place in Florida, She had just returned from a 5 day Cruise on Princess. So I figured although it would be nice to have all my children she has at least done some things.

19 year is just finished his 1st year at Millikan University, had made plans to go to Myrtle Beach with his buddy in July. So figured okay he has plans he wont mind, He did go several years ago to Canada with his dad, and two years ago he went with me and the two younger ones to Florida to visit my dad and we went to Disney.

So my husband decide okay we will take the two youngest ones and if we enjoy this one cruise we will plan earlier for everyone to go. Now keep in mind as a family we have not had a vaction were all 6 of us have gone together we have always been a split family. Last "family vacation we took " there were only 4 of us, and I was pregnant with the 3rd child.

Then we have extended family my husbands parents, My father in law doesn't like to take as he calls it extravagant vacations. But over Mothers day dinner we discussed it with them, My mother in law was all for it., But he just didn't want to go on a big boat. She was going to join us but a solo traveler is expensive and then they are getting up there and she didn't want to leave him for any amount of time.

Now my sister lives in Florida with her family and I asked her if she would like to join us and because of the dates it isn't possible. So that about covers the family and invites.

So with the four of us going alone, I made our airplane reservations. Not being to thoughtful about it I had originally booked the flights the morning of the 28th, with getting to the port later the same day, Surely flying in the same day shouldn't be an issue. So flight is booked.

Now back to the 23 year old, who by now has let it be known that she is upset we didn't include her. She has stated several times it isn't a family vacation with just part of the family is going. Now I will be the first to admit my children are spoiled to the point that they stink.

it didn't matter she was just on a cruise, didn't matter she would be back at law school, didn't matter that if all six of us went then no one would go. I did suggest the latter that no one went but that got veto.

I tried to get her to help me with planning this cruise and she just wasn't into that. Her words why should I help plan a cruise I am not going on. Maybe I asked because I wanted her help. Although she did enjoy shopping for her dad's clothes, and being his personal fashion coordinator and I will admit she does have very good taste. Well not if you ask the 19 year old he states her taste in ties leaves a lot to be desired.

Well Myrtle beach fell through, Then he was going to go camping, that fell through, So now the 19 year old is doing nothing fun this summer. Well if you want to count lunch in chicago fun well then there is that. I do feel very bad that his summer plans have fallen through but he doesn't seem bothered by it at all. Oh to be 19 again with no cares in the world.

So after reading several posts I start to second guess myself on arriving in Ft Lauderdale day of cruise, now the last time we flew out of the Quad cities it was Dec and the flight was delayed 4 hours, missed our connection and arrived in Ft. Lauderdale 5 hours later. Now granted it was snowing but had me giving thought to this is a mistake. Now fast forward to real time, my sister comes to visit flies out of Ft. Lauderdale Plan is delayed in Ft Lauderdale, missed her connection, and instead of arriving at 6:00 pm she arrived after 11:00 pm. So again I am thinking delayed flight missed connections = missed cruise. So I sent Air Tran an e-mail explaining situation on flights asking to change a non cancellation flight with out paying fees. Sad but told them the truth past flying had to due with sickness and death. I fully expected them to say so sorry to bad pay the 300.00 to change the four tickets to the day before. Well I was pleasantly surprised that I got an e-mail stating they would do this and only charge me 60:00 for the four seats. Oh boy do I feel so much better. My sister will pick us up, we will spend the night and she will then drive us to the port the next day.

Now gives us time to pick up Soda ( Pop) Pepsi what ever you want to call it and water for the cruise. Maybe just maybe she will take us to Doris's for cannoli and black and white cookies and a trip to the cemetery to see mom & dad and my brother. But her and I will need to discuss this. Because we get in at 12:00 and her kids will be in school.




No comments:

Post a Comment